At West Loop Spine & Stability, our chiropractors treat patients from the West Loop, Fulton Market, River West, West town, Ukrainian Village, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Rivernorth, South Loop, Streeterville, Gold Coast, and Greater Chicagoland areas. Spinal decompression is an essential tool that we often use in our practice. This tool allows us to treat the spine without the need for drugs or surgery.
What Can Be Treated Using Spinal Decompression?
As previously stated, spinal decompression is a valuable tool used by chiropractors to provide relief from pain that is related to different conditions. These conditions include:
- Herniated Discs: Disc herniation is often found in the L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1 spinal segments. A herniated disc can lead to a dull ache or a shooting pain.
- Pinched Nerves: This condition causes radiating pain that leaves the spine and travels throughout the body.
- Sciatica: This is pain related to the largest nerve in the body, the sciatic nerve. Symptoms of this condition include pain in the back and legs, weakness, numbness, and tingling.
- Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD): A common medical condition that can impair the ability of the discs to function properly.
- Spinal Stenosis: This involves a narrowing of the space around the spinal cord. This narrowing causes pressure on the nerves which can lead to pain in the arms or legs.
How Spinal Decompression Works
The procedure for spinal decompression begins with addressing any questions the patient may have in regards to the treatment. The doctor will have already performed an initial examination and taken a medical history from the patient to ensure the patient’s safety. Then, it’s time for the patient to lay on the traction table.
Once the patient is properly positioned on the table, a slight amount of pressure will be applied to the back to stretch the spine. The goal of spinal decompression is to increase the amount of space between the vertebrae ever so slightly. We use this procedure carefully, knowing that small changes within the spine can lead to big results.
The expansion of the space between the vertebrae provides more room for the nerves to operate. The decompression provides pain relief without relying on medication that may have side effects or on surgical procedures. Can spinal decompression work for your medical condition? Schedule an appointment with us for an examination to find out.
Call West Loop Spine & Stability Today to Make an Appointment
West Loop Spine & Stability is a health clinic that provides care for patients from the West Loop, Fulton Market, River West, West town, Ukrainian Village, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Rivernorth, South Loop, Streeterville, Gold Coast, and Greater Chicagoland areas. Our team is made up of qualified healthcare professionals who are capable of treating a wide array of conditions related to the spine. If you are interested in spinal decompression as a treatment, or just chiropractic care in general, call us today at (312) 928-9282 to schedule an appointment.